Thursday, February 10, 2011

Online Role Playing Games - Are They Addictive?


If you have ever played one, then like me I'm sure you are saying a resounding Yes! Eleven years ago, when I started at my last job, I found my fellow employees talking about the "Quest" they hoped to complete that evening, and about the NPCs they would encounter. Not having a clue about the conversation, I asked what they were talking about, and within two weeks I was one of the millions of everyday people trying to make it to the next level, so that I could upgrade my Avatar. I soon joined the local Guild and with the help of my Guild Mates I was leveling my character every day at first, and then as the game started to get a little harder, the time between levels also increased. But it didn't matter, the exhilaration of the battle and the thrill of completing the Quest were two of the things I personally found invigorating and addictive.

Since then I've played several other MMORPGs, Massive Multi-Player Online Role Playing Games, and they all have their own pros and cons. Some are arranged in such a manner that it doesn't matter if you play solo or in groups. Playing solo usually means that sooner or later you will have to "Grind" out the points needed to level, while playing in groups not only makes it possible to go on the harder Quests but leveling is much faster. Others are geared more towards groups, the game being almost impossible to play solo. I prefer the first type as I like to play solo, although I also joined groups when necessary.

Just like other activities that addictive at first, but then wear off, I found that the game lost it's original appeal, and I haven't been playing as much as I used to. My Avatar is still there if I decide to go back.








This is a screen shot of my current Avatar in a game I've been actively playing for almost 6 years. It uses Real Money and is a real challenge.

Please visit my Blog


No comments:

Post a Comment